Getting through the mess

The move into my condo was not a smooth one. Spent a month renting out a strangers room. Took possession, came to my new home - keys in hand, only to find the former owners furniture still there (looong story, not worthy of repeating).

Moving ain't so easy when you only have about 550 sq feet to fit everything in



After the first night of finally having all my stuff back into my place, and just being glad to have a real bed to sleep on, I had a real good look around. I came to one realization:

THE FORMER TENANTS WERE PIGS!


And that's insulting pigs....sorry pigs.

I'm serious. I don't think I have ever seen such filth.

The first issue was mold. Mold in the solarium, mold in the bathroom, mold in the bedroom. Mold, mold, mold. Thankfully the mold appears to have been surface mold and a good bleach solution took care of the bacteria.

This was after just the window sills in the bedroom...gee, no wonder I had a sore throat for the first week


The next issue? Ew. Stickiness. The entire kitchen was sticky. Everything you touched in there was covered in grease. It took me 2 1/2 hrs to clean the fridge, over 3 hours to clean the stove. Every cupboard had to be cleaned from top to bottom.

On the left, greasy mess...on the right, thank gawd for power steamers

On the left, more grease...on the right, the power steamer at work
Let's hear it for the power steamer!

an appreciated gift from my parents...thanks Mom and Dad!


In my recent adventure of rearranging the laundry room - which I will be talking about in my next post - resulted in the discovery of a huge mess under the washer/dryer. It is no wonder I have a bug situation in my condo, as I appear to have been supporting an entire eco-system under my appliances.

a combo of puffed wheat and onion peels...seriously???


There are still cleaning adventures to be had as I still need to pull out the fridge and give the coils a good vacuum (I fear the state they're in...and it will probably account for the odd noises it makes from time to time). The stove vent has yet to be thoroughly cleaned. Oh the joy.

Real estate is always an adventure...but it's good to be home.


I'd like to dedicate this entry to the memory of my Chumley who was killed by a coyote on July 14, 2011. You are dearly missed, my Little Bacon Bit

Comments

Popular Posts