Project Three - Living room/Dining area

When I first saw the dining area, it looked like this:



And the living room looked like this: (after I moved in, with my furniture):



Ew. I know. I think someone needs to be highly medicated in order to decide that this colour is a good idea - for anything. To make it worse, the paint was gloss. Meaning that every little burp, fart and nick is highly visible. Adding to the misery - the wonderful faux wood trim and the use of faux wood electrical receptical covers. Yeah, just special.

Now it would have been a quick slap up of paint, but nothing is ever that easy in this house. One of the previous owners thought it would be great to use some more of that lovely faux wood trim and put up chair rails before this precious green colour went up....everywhere. Most of it was taken down at some point, but instead of smoothing out the wall and repainting, they just ran some of the paint along where the railing was. Leaving a lovely, highly visible line all around the room. So as I went each wall had to be spackled and sanded to try to get rid of these lines.

I decided to go a little nuts with the paint choice and chose Kaleidoscope orange from CIL paints.



Orange! Really orange. Like Home Depot orange. I was a little weary of the colour at first but after the first wall I found that I loved it. And as I posted up my pics on Facebook my friends said they loved it too. The ugly faux trim could not be left so I decided to paint it out a simple white. Nice contrast to the laminate floor and the wall itself.



It took quite a while to get the walls painted. It was a very hot summer here in Ontario so spending it indoors and doing reno work was not ideal. So it got put off a lot. But as of just the other weekend I finally finished 3/4's of the whole project.

Now the final 1/4 is a very large wall. Over 18 feet long with no breaks. The fear was with this wall was that the over abundant use of orange would result in just too much orange. So it became under debate at what to do. The thought of a wallpaper focus wall came up and I rolled that idea around for several weeks. I looked at numerous wallpapers and debating over many kinds and colours. I have come to one conclusion - wallpaper is freekin' expensive! So I have decided upon continuing the orange-fest and painting the final wall orange and getting a wall decal and maybe another piece of artwork to break up the space.

This past weekend I put final paint roller to giant wall and primed the 18 ft expanse in prep to paint it next weekend.



Man, was it ever nice to see that final wall of hideous green disappear.

Comments

  1. Yeah!!!! I am still concerned about how the 18ft of orange will feel... but I do love orange. When are you going to finish?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts