Project One - The Bathroom

My bathroom is small. Apartment small. But it has the important essentials so me being a gal that doesn't camp out in her bathroom it works just fine for me. Full tub-shower, sink with cabinet storage underneath, medicine cabinet above and a functioning toilet. Anymore than that is pure fluff - not that there is anything wrong with a little fluff.

I was rather...uhm..."icked" by the site of the washroom when I first saw it. Wood accessories - why do people think this is a good look? Especially the disgusting thought of the wood toilet seat. Wood is porous, do you really want something porous and thus absorbing in your bathroom? Ew. This is the site that I was faced with during my viewing:



I know...ew. The purply-blah walls, the faux wood...like a 70's nightmare.

So I began....first the toilet seat.


I swear that's rust...lol



Would have been easy if they had not used metal screws, resulting in massive amounts of dirty rust and mess.

The next big challenge was removing all the wood accessories and fixing the holes in the wall. In particular the massive hole caused by having to yank the towel bar off the wall because someone used glue to reattach it after someone accidentally pulled the towel rack off while coming out of the shower. Another mess. But I found some great silver accessories at Walmart.



Then, I painted the lower cabinet and medicine cabinet a dark chocolate brown with Tremclad gloss paint. I then painted the wall a coffee brown using a CIL paint called Sweetwood.



As a final touch I bought some new towels, silver cabinet handles, a small bathmat and two pics to decorate the wall. I reused the cabinet hinges by just painting them with silver spray paint. I even reused a white and pink trash can by spray painting the pink a beige with made-for-plastic paint. Reuse and Recycle people!



So here's the before and after:





The pics weren't added until a couple months later as I had a hard time finding something that worked. The pics were $10 each from Kitchen Stuff Plus and weighed next to nothing so the pics are actually hanging with push pins.

The only thing I have left to do is replace the tap on the sink. It's very hard to control the temperature of the water with the present faucet so I will be replacing it with a two tap faucet in the future. But as there are more important things to take care of first - like painting the rest of the house - it will wait.

I have received many complements about the cabinets especially and even some have thought that I replaced them. All I can say is paint is a wonderful thing!

Comments

  1. I want my cabinets to look like yours.. what do you do when you have a ugly colored cabinet top? Its that 70's colored yellow faux marble swirled that looks like nicotine stain-uch!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts