Houston, We Have a Problem

Somewhere along in your journey of reno domination you will experience a glitch…an error…and epic boo-boo. Something that makes you go:

 
It was the final couple of hours yesterday. I had been pushing myself like a madman for the past couple of weeks wanting to get the kitchen done in time for my parent’s arrival yesterday morning as they were coming out to see me for my birthday. It was just after 9am and although I wasn’t sure that I would get the strip above the backsplash painted, at least I would get the cabinets up…uh…no.

Note to self – and the rest of you for that matter – never assume that all cabinets face the same way.

Cuz some of them don’t.

You see, the bottom cabinets were fine. They already had 2 holes in them for the bar-type handle that was on them before. All I had to do was wood fill the hole, sand and pain *Freudian slip* paint over, leaving one remaining one for the new knobs. The top cabinets, however, did not have handles at all. I had to drill holes for my knobs. I drilled them all down in the basement. All basically one after the other. And unfortunately I forgot that half of the top cabinets face right and the others face left. I didn’t come to this miserable conclusion until I was putting the cabinets up. I was working from left to right. The first 3 large cabinets went up fine, with a little tweaking and leveling. I went to put the next 3 and it suddenly dawned on me what I had done.

Damn.

So close.

So this week I have to fill in the “dumb-dumb holes”, sand, prime and repaint. Thankfully these holes are surrounded by a groove on each side so I won’t have to repaint the whole door, just the little square where the hole is. Then put the whole in the right place. There are 5 doors to be redone so final pics will have to hold until the end of this week.

So, sad to say, a minor kink has been thrown into the works. But c’est la vie. Just the life of a newbie reno queen.

Comments

  1. Ha! Everywhere I read said I should label the doors so I know where to they back to... I decided that will be the LEAST of my problems.
    It will be a fun game when the time comes. Im glad Im sticking with handles and keeping my handle holes.
    So close!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts