Slowly But Surely...

It's now March and normally we are still we entrenched in winter here in Canada, but Mother Nature is a woman of many surprises. As I start this entry today, it is going up to 23 degrees! It's like Summer!


Unfortunately my medical problems continue to plague me. Next stop: endocrinologist! (yee. haw.) My energy is very low and it's hard to get going on things around here. But I have completed a few necessary items so I thought I'd share my finds and it will at least make me feel like I have accomplished something this winter, besides my high attendance of medical appointments.




Boy, was I ever glad to get this wall done.

It's the largest wall in my condo, so it's nice to know that anything I do after this will not be as big. I love the blue and I am so happy that I chose it. My condo is small and some may question on using any kind of bold colour in a small space - but I say, go for it! Your home should inspire you - bring peace and security. Don't be afraid to surround yourself in colour.

I am still doing the great debate on wallpaper for my focus wall.



I do really like the large demask, despite the fear that it may be a little much. But I'm not totally sold on it. I think I need to finally carve out some time to spend at a wallpaper store and pour over the books and find that ideal pattern.







I have started work on the bedroom. As I still had a bucket of Granite Grey paint from my former bedroom, and I liked the colour so much, I used it again. At this point I am about 3/4 done. I have the closet doors to complete and the opposite wall. I decided to do a focus wall in the bedroom to make it feel a little bigger than it is (it is SMALL, small, small, small...room for a bed and 2 side tables and that's about it, kind of small). I won't reveal the focus wall colour yet. I want to have it done before I make the big reveal - so sit tight.

Two major things that I've done is replace the light in the kitchen and in the hallway. I've been debating over lights for months. Saw some lights that were a "maybe"...but "maybe" is just not good enough in my books. If you are going to stare at something on a daily basis, you better love it.

First, my kitchen light. This is what I started with:
whoop-de-fricken'-do, eh?...as about as inspiring as a beige wall

I decided that spot lighting was a perfect idea for the kitchen as I wanted the ability to focus the light where I needed it. I stood in Lowes (sorry Home Depot) in their light department for a good 10 minutes, staring up at  their light display. Debating over 3 lights, or maybe 4 lights...not sure. Finally decided on this:

Lowes - approx $60

And here comes the fun...installing a light without assistance.

Again, I don't recommend it. If you can get help, get it. As always, there was much swearing and sweating and praying that I didn't drop a screw. But having already had experience installing a light before it went a little quicker this time.

And the result?

(ignore the messy kitchen! ignore the messy kitchen!)

AWE...wait for it....SOME! Welcome, oh kitchen, to 2012!

I didn't stop there though. The hallway needed a new light too. The light was so small and pathetic and sad.



You feel sorry for the sad light, don't you? :)


Now finding it's replacement was not easy. I have been debating over it's successor for about 4 months or so and after many trips to here and there, I couldn't find what I was looking for. The other week I found myself, again, in Lowe's (sorry Home Depot...I still love you). I saw a few that caught my eye and I debated, and I debated. What sold me was that the shade on this light was similar to the dining room chandelier. Perfect.

Here's the light:

$65.00
Doesn't look like it matches when it's off....but when lit...



Love it!

I also touched on a few mini-projects.

First, a candle holder that I've had for several years. I painted it blue years ago when I was into the whole sun,moon and stars motif, but it sticks out like a sore thumb right now.


So I painted it out white. Not sure if it is going to remain this way, but it's now prepped for any colour I decide.








Another bit-o-fun was trying to find purpose for the many crystals that I removed from the very ugly chandelier that used to plague my dining area. I cleaned them and just kept them in a box until inspiration arrived.

Inspiration came a-knockin'...let's make the mass-produced IKEA lamps look interesting!

So using the wire already attached to each crystal I strung them together and hooked them onto the lamp shade...



...and I got this:



I have to say it makes them look a little less....uhm...cheap....cuz they were. But, more importantly, I gave some beautiful crystals some purpose and flair!

The last item was artwork.

I was stuck, stuck, stuck over what to put in the living room above my club chair.
just cryin' for some artwork

Over the months I have seen some possibilities but just never fell in love. Then when a possible piece came about, I hesitated, and lost out. I just wanted a piece that was original and spoke to the retro theme that I have in my place.

Watching a design show one day I came across a cool company called Canvas Pop (http://www.canvaspop.com/). Their specialty is taking your average picture and turning it into a canvas print. I thought this was a cool idea and would definitely give me a piece of artwork that no one else had. But what to print up? Now, I'm lucky, I happen to have a library of pictures in my computer. Thousands upon thousands of family pictures, spanning almost 7 decades. After pouring over my stash, I saw it, the perfect picture. Artistically speaking, it was taken at such an optimum moment. The symmetry and the movement of the photograph is perfect - it could not have been timed better. And what makes it even more awesome - that it was taken by my Dad.

Here's the print: (and as I post this, this is the first time my Dad is seeing this...he didn't know that I had this picture reproduced on canvas...what do you think, Dad?)






I ordered it on the weekend and had it by Wednesday evening. It cost me about $180 but that is on a 24x36 canvas with a 1.5" depth and that included shipping and taxes (how ever I managed to snag myself a 30% off discount code, so it would have been over $200 without it). To me, it was worth it to have something truly original. Canvas Pop is a great company. Quick to get a proof to me, quick to process my order and properly packaged and delivered by UPS. Plus they included a couple of discount cards in with my print for future purchases.

Here's the original picture:

This picture will be familiar to those who have or who live in the Toronto area. It's taken at Bloor Station in 1970. My Dad took a series of black and white pictures around Toronto just before he and my Mom and my Sister moved to England, (where I was born a few years later). I love the women standing there in their sunglasses and shopping bags. I travel the subway system daily so this is a slice-of-life for me.  A fabulous idea for creating art that really means something, not just random, mass-production.

So that's what has been keeping me busy lately. I'll be continuing on with the bedroom and the search for an appropriate mirror for the wall. Can't wait to have the bedroom done so it feels like a real bedroom, not some sad, discount motel with dodgy walls.



Love, laugh, and make it gorgeous!

Comments

  1. I like it, fantastic idea, now you've given us ideas for what to do with pictures we need for the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fantastic shot! I may have to create some art of my own!!
    Good job getting motivated with all the troubles you have had. We have been busy bees here, but no time to blog yet!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts