A kitchen a-go-go

Now that I have managed to finally...FINALLY...finish the living/dining areas, it's time for the kitchen.

Ugh. The kitchen.

I've given myself, to what I am now realizing, the impossible deadline of the Xmas holidays to have it done. Yeah...no. You see, at this very moment my Dad is putting in new laminate flooring in their house and I wanted to be just as "go-getting" and get my kitchen done at the same pace. Not keeping in mind my Dad is retired and he can laminate to his hearts content all day if he wanted to - allowing breaks for the washroom, a grilled cheese sandwich and some possible Clint Eastwood movie watching - and finish in enough time for me to have the official first viewing at Xmas. Me...I work 5 days a week and most of my reno'ing has to be accomplished on the weekend, cuz it's hard to be inspired to paint, spackle or prime after a full day of work and commuting.

So adjusting the deadline is what I'll do. I am giving myself to Jan 22 to get the kitchen done. This involves:

painting the ceiling
priming and painting the walls
stripping and wood filling the cabinets
drilling new holes for the knobs
sanding the cabinets
priming and painting the cabinets
priming and painting the trim

This is how it looks now (minus some paint on a few of the upper cabinets as the paint isn't exactly iron-clad and I was able to strip some off pretty easily with a flat blade)

how it looked before I moved in - MLS picture
Yep...lots to do.

The space is great though. Two entrances and nice flow (except for the dishwasher placement...I guess it was the easiest place to put it). I like the double sink and window overtop. There's lots of cabinet space and I like the look of the laminate floor.

So try to imagine, if you will, warm white cabinets with round knobs. Medium cranberry red walls and white trim.

Basically this:





With a little bit of:




I haven't decided on the exact shade of cranberry so here's every shade of cranberry...and a mighty nice wreath.

In the end I hope to have that kitchen that makes everyone say "wow"...."nice"...and other complementary phrases.

As of today's date I have painted a line of primer around the top perimeter of the kitchen to try to diminish the oops and burps of blue paint that the previous owners allowed to creep onto the ceiling and I have spackled a hole in the ceiling caused by a plant hook. I just want to do one more touch of primer (as I can still see the blue bleeding through) and do a final spackle and sand of the annoying hole before I slap up the ceiling paint. I plan to have the ceiling done and the rest of the walls primed by the end of the weekend...and maybe, if I am feeling particularly ambitious, put the first coat of yet-to-be-determined red on my walls.

Anybody want to take care of all this for me? Anyone?....No? Crap.


Comments

  1. Oh my! No envy here. My 1 week schedule for JUST cupboard doors ended 2 weeks ago. I havent tackled the bases yet... but that is what Thanksgiving weekend is for! Luckily my walls are alreay painted. We will just need touch up.
    Good luck--cannot wait to see progress. Call this reno work the gym for now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should post each day with what you have accomplished! If nothing else, it will motivate me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen has lots of potential. I can't wait to see what you do with it. It's alot of work but it's worth it.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would, but I'm busy doing my floor and watching my movies :-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where is the update lady!!! I am eagerly awaiting it :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts