The Foyer

Ok, yes, I've been seriously MIA over the past month or so...hmmm, close to 2 months. But I have been working hard to continue with my projects and have my home up for sale in the spring.

But that goal has been advanced a month as my agent stressed that if I didn't want to be just another pea in the pod of the mass amount of homes going up for sale this spring, I needed to step it up. So step it up I have!

The next project after the kitchen was the foyer,

Now I didn't want to post until I was completely done all of the foyer, stairwell and upper and lower hallways and I could take a suitable "after" picture. But as I immediately moved on to the painting of the other rooms, the upstairs hallway quickly turned into a catch-all for everything that I needed to move out of the assorted bedrooms. So no "after" pic yet of the upstairs. That will have to be posted at a later date.

My foyer is modest in size, thought quite functional. Big mirrored doors that make the foyer seem larger. Enough room for a chair, and space in the closet not only for all my jackets (why I have, like, 20 jackets, I'm not sure...I need them...I really do) but for a shoe rack and organization of my recyclables. Good space.

But the prep work to paint this small space was a serious endeavor. Once again the battle of the sticky crap on the wall from the removal of the hideous chair rails. And you be surprised how much time it takes to paint a closet.

Staying consistent with the former owners sloppiness, I had to de-paint the closet rail

So much trim, then the painting of the shelves and then the spackling of the mess left behind by the rails.


The colour I chose for the foyer, lower and upper hallway and stairwell was "Pebble", a pre-mixed, eco-friendly, low VOC paint from Rona. I got 3 gallons on a great sale back in the fall. It's a putty colour, very neutral and I thought very easy to coordinate with the brights of the downstairs with the soft tones that I plan to put upstairs. It has a green undertone so some pics here might look like the colour is green.



After a little grunting and groaning, foyer went from crap to *snap!*...or something more clever.

Main Door - Before

Main Door - After

Closet - Before

Closet - After (excuse the kitchen mess)

What a welcoming difference!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts