The Spare Room...the final frontier

The spare room is a rarely use room. I have guests from time to time but it mostly turned into a dressing room, since its just off the bathroom. It's been a blah colour from the start...


This was how it looked when I viewed the house. I have to ask all those parents out there....would you paint your baby's room beige? Beige walls....beige carpet....knotty pine furniture. All I gotta say is that this baby was probably a good sleeper. I would be in a room like this.

So as soon as I moved in the carpet was removed. In fact I removed it just the day after. It revealed not the greatest floor. Instead of putting parquet down like the rest of the bedrooms, they put "parquet"...parquet printed vinyl tile. Ugh. And as ill-fitted vinyl tile does, tiles have shifted. Little gaps are here and there. I originally was going to track down some replacement tiles to fix the floor only to find that I couldn't find the tiles anywhere. I then thought of putting parquet but I hesitated. Who knows - my buyers may be carpet fans or they might want to continue, as I intended to do one day, the laminate flooring from downstairs into the upstairs. So I have left the floor as is and just put a small rug down. So until about 2 weeks ago it looked something like this:


A total catch-all of stuff that I would tidy up from time to time. The ugly - and slightly damaged - blind remained from when I moved in. It's become the catch-all, cap-nap room...only used once in a while for guests.

In choosing a colour for the room I wanted to stay with the same family of colours. Something grey-toned to keep with the colours of the master and the catroom. So I chose this:


Lunenburg, a soft blue - from who should be my official blog sponsor at this point - CIL. Maybe a bit of a bold choice for a small room but this room needed to be woken up from it's sleepy beige world. And awoken it was.

I did my usual spackle and prime, but it took longer than usual because of the priming around the inside of the closet and the closet doors themselves. I was planning on having everything done by the Parental Patrol's arrival that Saturday, but I only managed to get the first coat of paint up.

The Parental Patrol arrived to help me with some final fixes and getting the rec room in the basement sorted and stuff off to Goodwill. The rolled up their sleeves, as usual, and got down to work. While my Dad did some final touch ups, me and my Mom cleaned up the basement and got things organized. Me and Mom then worked on the second coat of the spare room. Mom's dive into painting was a surprise to both me and my Dad as we both commented that we never saw my Mom paint before. (Ok, yes Mom, it wasn't the first time you painted - I know she will comment on this fact). But she took it on like a champ and was a great help in getting it done.

So this is it, the final room...the house is as complete as I can get it and the house is on the market.

Before


And after...
I can't believe I'm done.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts